Thursday, September 20, 2012

The Atonement

For some reason I have been struggling to, for lack of a better word, enjoy my religion class this semester.  Maybe this is due to the fact that I have neglected to admit that I have become bitter due to recent events in life.  But that is a story for another day - back to my religion class.  I am taking Religion 234: LDS Marriage and Family Relations in which we discuss a variety of topics in order to find, create, and build the most successful marriage and family possible.  Yesterday in class we had the wonderful opportunity to discuss the Atonement.  And here is where I begin trying to reverberate what a spiritual experience this class was for me and how it changed my entire perspective of this class.

The Atonement is:

Personal
Merrill J. Bateman described that Jesus Christ did not just suffer for all, it was a steady stream of individual faces; Christ saw and felt for each one of us personally.  He does indeed know His sheep!  Elder Bruce R. McConkie has said this, "Nothing in the entire plan of salvation compares in any way in importance with that most transcendent of all events, the atoning sacrifice of our Lord.  It is the most important single thing that has ever occurred in the entire history of created things; it is the rock foundation upon which the gospel and all other things rest.  Indeed, all 'things which pertain to our religion are only appendages to it.'" [MD, p. 60]  So I ask, is it the single most important to YOU, to ME?  What cause you and I to stand all amazed?  What drives us to our knees in gratitude for what has been done so personally and graciously for us?


Infinite
I begin this section with a scripture from Alma.  

Alma 7:11-12

"And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.

And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities."

Here I would like to highlight two words: afflictions and infirmities.  These words are NOT sinful!  Afflictions are things like stress, pressure, anxiety, fear, and depression.  We do not need to suffer silently; Christ suffered what we suffer and is ready and willing to succor us.  Infirmities are our weaknesses and shortcomings.   What would we consider our "weaker" attributes?  We need to be aware that he did suffer and that all we need to do is open the door and let him in.  He is with us, even until the ends of the world.




Powerful
"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." -Philippians 4:15.  Do we have the same capacity day in and day out?  No, but that is where the enabling powers of the Atonement come into play!  Jesus Christ will save us after all we can do!!  He is proud of us!!  We have done and are doing well.  Life is hard, and He of all people knows that.  We need to be humble, have faith, pray sincerely, repent, and obey.  No words can explain the powers the Atonement can have on us IF we allow it!

Available
God gives to us daily - do we recognize?, what do we give?, do we connect with him?, do we forgive those around us?  In order for the Atonement to be fully available we need to put down our barriers and let him in!  We need to pay it forward as He does for us.  We need to get outside ourselves, and return grace for grace.  Packer has said that we may each participate in an atonement of our own - restoring to others that which we have not taken.  We can be someones savior as Jesus Christ is our Savior.

For some reason this lesson was so eye opening and life changing for me.  I know that Christ suffered for me and for each of us individually.  The Atonement can be and is a personal thing.  He will succor - run to - us with open arms, if we let Him.  I was put at peace.  I received a renewed testimony.  I, in a sense, was made whole in a matter of moments.  That is the healing powers of the Atonement at work.  Let Him help you.  He is ready and willing - I KNOW THAT!



1 comment:

Write for the generations! said...

15 Ayris the atonement is indeed a very personal thing, I am so grateful that you have received this 'tender mercy' nothing ever will take that inner peace and knowledge of the spirit confirming that He is there for you.